What is an independent dental hygiene practice?
- With the appropriate education and training, dental hygienists can work on their own, without the direct supervision of a dentist. Almost every province in Canada allows dental hygienists to work independently. Sparkling Smiles is proud to offer barrier free dental hygiene services by registered dental hygienists in Fredericton, NB.
Do I need to see a dentist before having my teeth cleaned at your clinic?
- No, you do not need to see a dentist before visiting an independent dental hygienist for your teeth cleaning. It is recommended to see a dentist once per year for a check-up and any recommended x-rays, however we believe there should be no barriers to access preventive dental hygiene care.
Will my dentist be upset that I go to you for my teeth cleanings?
Will my dental insurance cover my treatments?
- Yes! Most insurances will cover the cost of your treatments the same way it would at your regular dental office. We always recommend you call your insurance company to be familiar with the specific coverage you have.
Do you direct bill?
- Yes! We direct bill to most insurance carriers, however there are a select few who do not accept electronic billing from independent dental hygienists. In this case, we request the client pay for their treatments up front and we are happy to assist our client's submit their receipts to their insurance company.
How long does teeth whitening last?
- It is dependent on many factors (coffee,tea,red wine,smoking etc.) Everyone's teeth are different, some people do a touch-up once or twice a year, while others do a touch-up every couple of months.
Is teeth whitening bad for my teeth?
- No! Whitening will not weaken or damage your enamel. Teeth whitening is considered the safest cosmetic dental procedure.
Will my insurance cover teeth whitening?
- Unfortunately insurance does not typically cover teeth whitening.
Why choose an independent dental hygiene practice in Fredericton, NB?
- Sparkling Smiles Dental Hygiene & Teeth Whitening offers a different kind of atmosphere where you will feel relaxed and at ease. No drills, no needles, no dental office smells. We are dedicated to giving our clients the best care possible! Independent practices give you an alternative way to getting your teeth professionally cleaned by a registered dental hygienist in Fredericton, NB. Visit your regular dentist for your annual checkup and any recommended x-rays, and see a registered independent dental hygienist for your affordable teeth cleanings.
Do I need a referral to see an independent dental hygienist?
- No! No referral is needed to be a client at Sparkling Smiles Dental Hygiene & Teeth Whitening. We are always accepting new clients of all ages!
If I see you for my dental cleanings, do I still have to see my dentist?
- Yes! It is recommended that you get a checkup and any recommended x-rays by your dentist once a year.
I do not have a dentist. What should I do?
- No need to worry. We work closely with several dental offices in Fredericton, NB and would be more than happy to provide you with their contact information.
My dentist has told me I need to get my teeth cleaned every 3 or 4 months. Is this true?
- Yes! Many people are prone to getting a lot of plaque and tartar buildup on their teeth which can lead to gum disease and eventual tooth loss. For these people it is very important to stay ahead of it by having professional teeth cleanings more frequently. This ensures your gums stay healthy and disease free. Because of our affordable prices, many people are able to see us on a more regular basis to help maintain their oral health.
I no longer have dental coverage so I can not have my teeth cleaned anymore.
- We understand that any kind of dental service can be expensive, but if you no longer have dental insurance, it is still extremely important to have your teeth cleaned on a regular basis by a registered dental hygienist and to have an annual checkup by your dentist. Many times, it is actually cheaper to pay out of pocket for dental services than paying the monthly fees to have dental insurance.
What is the best kind of toothpaste to use?
- Fluoride is an important ingredient in toothpaste to look for. It helps keep your teeth healthy and strong and fights cavities. All of the familiar brands of toothpaste will have fluoride. (Colgate, Crest, Sensodyne, Arm & Hammer etc) There is no "best" toothpaste out there, whatever you like, use it!
What is the best floss to use?
- Whichever kind you find works for your teeth and whatever kind you like! Everybody's teeth are different, some people need a thicker floss because they have larger spaces, some people need a thinner floss because their teeth are extremely tight. Ask your registered dental hygienist in Fredericton, NB and we can help you choose the right floss based on your individual needs.
Should I use a hard toothbrush? It cleans better!
- This is not necessarily true. The harder the brush, the harder it is on your gums and enamel. Hard bristled toothbrushes can wear the enamel down on your teeth, and can lead to gum recession (the gums get brushed away, exposing the root of the tooth). Once this occurs, the gums cannot be grown back. Dental professionals always recommend a soft or extra soft brush. They clean just as good as a hard brush, minus the damage. We also highly recommend electric toothbrushes. Ask your registered dental hygienist during your appointment which ones they recommend!
At what age should I bring my child for their first visit?
- It is recommended that your child see a dental professional shortly after their first tooth erupts. By age 3, many children are able to sit in the chair on their own and get familiar with all the things a registered dental hygienist does. A first visit might only be a ride in the chair, but every positive experience will lead to a child who does not have anxiety or fears in a dental setting. Check out Sparkling Smiles' "Kids Corner" page for more information.